Tuesday, June 29, 2010

'Nova Nation

We, the staff of NextGenSports, have decided to personalize our blog to the readers. Just last week, I spent some time with the Villanova Basketball team in Philadelphia. Two years removed from a magical run to the Final Four highlighted by point guard Scottie Reynolds's game-winner against Pittsburgh in the Sweet 16, the Wildcats, seeded 2nd, fell unexpectedly to St. Mary's in the Second Round of the 2010 NCAA Tournament.

With the departure of Reynolds and fellow leading scorer at small forward Reggie Redding, the offense this season looks to revolve around center Mouphtaou Yarou (above). The 6 foot 9 inch center from Montrose Christian has been playing basketball for just three years, but quickly he has established himself alongside Louisville's Samardo Samuels as the two elite post men in the Big East. Last Friday, I sat down with Yarou, the class of 2010's number 10 overall recruit.

Me: Your freshman season was delayed by rumors that you were in fact 25 years of age. How did you overcome these problems?

Yarou: Actually, they weren't much of a factor. I knew from the start they weren't really true, so I did not let it affect me.

Q: How do prepare yourself to be the focal point of this Villanova basketball team?

A: I don't think about it at all. We are different; we don't just throw it down in the post, and let someone score 1 on 1. Coach Wright stresses team basketball, meaning that each person should be involved on each play, obviously, and that each player whether you are a point guard or a center must be able to do certain skills well. A center must be able to shoot it from outside, and the guards need to be able to rebound.

Q: What effect did fellow big man Antonio Pena have on you last season?

A: He did a great job really helping me to adjust to the Big East. I cannot wait to play with Antonio next season. We should be a pretty dangerous 1,2 punch down low.

Q: Describe the significance of Taylor King's departure.

A: He was a big rebounder for this basketball team, who had the knack to shoot the 3 very well. In terms of stretching the defense and really providing mismatches, Taylor was important.

Q: Was there any added significance in the away matchup against Syracuse? The Orangemen had the largest on-hand crowd in NCAA regular season history.

A: I guess we were a little nervous playing in front of everyone, but once the game started not really. Once you are on the court, doing the thing you have done with your teammates for so many months, it just seems like practice again. No question, there was an incredible amount of fans, but basketball stays the same.

Q: Why was Omar Samhan so effective against you guys in the NCAA Tournament?

A: He was just so skilled. He got to the basketball with ease and knew how to finish down low. Our game plan was to eliminate his outside game as well as his ability to get others involved. We clearly did not do such a great job. Samhan played great.

Q: Perhaps most important, why did you chose Villanova?

A: I just love it. I love the campus, the atmosphere, and the environment. I love Scottie (of course referring to former All-American point guard Scottie Reynolds) and definitely Coach Wright. The university just really fit me and my personality. This is an elite basketball program, among the top in the country. I am so impressed with everything, to be honest.

Q: How did you adjust to Coach Wright's dribble drive offense in your freshman year, which centered on Scottie and Cory getting to the basket?

A: If anything, it made my job easier. I got such good looks all year. This season, I expect to be exhibiting my post moves more often.

Q: I see you are wearing an necklace of the continent of Africa, I am sure you are watching the World Cup, how do you like to win it all and why?

A: Holland. Too much offense all over the field. I love Robben, Van Persie and Kuyt up top. They are just so exciting.

As of right now, Yarou's tandem of size and strength projects him as a surefire first round pick. With a bit more seasoning especially on the defensive end, there is no reason why Yarou cannot be this year's version of Baylor's Ekpe Udoh, who went #6 to Golden State. Shotblocking is a skill that comes easily to both West African products.

-DR

No comments:

Post a Comment